Thursday, August 23, 2007

Fun With Youtube ~ Week 9, Thing 20

This was a fun adventure with youtube. I've used the site before to see the new World of Warcraft videos or character models, or to see music videos, or any random assortment of things. What I like most about the site is its entertainment value. It has potential for teaching purposes. I've seen a couple of how-to videos on there. It's a great way to teach people new skills, including those of the technology variety.

The video that I chose was Mr. Bean Goes to the Library. I chose this one for many reason. First, it's funny. I like Mr. Bean and it was library related, so it seemed to be a good match. Second, it's a good reflection of how people think of libraries. No loud noises, uptight, older librarians, and rules, rules, rules! No one there was having a good time. The only other thing that could have been added was a reading librarian! It's good to laugh at the stereotype and to realize that we've moved far, far beyond that.

There is one thing though... After watching that I'm definitely glad that we don't have books that are of such an age that they must be handled with gloves. Yes, I must admit... When he put the white out on the page and then cut out pages my heart did stop for a beat or two. Maybe some things never change.

No comments: