Wednesday, August 15, 2007

web 2.0 ~ Week 6, Thing 15

I'm always hesitant when I read articles about how libraries should evolve or adapt. Often they're written by people that never actually experience the front lines of library work, or that work only in a university setting. I'm willing to admit that though I love technology, I'm not always comfortable with the suggested changes.

I see first hand how our patrons love Flickr, myspace, facebook and the rest. I help them with these sites and they're very appreciative. There's nothing quite like showing a teenager how to change their myspace background and getting that impressed look. Yes, I may almost be 30, but it doesn't mean that I'm not still on the fringes of coolness.

My thoughts are that libraries need to evolve with their patrons. If our patrons are using new sites, then it's my job to play with those sites. If they need new ways to access technology, it's my job to find a way to do that. Does this mean that I think we should move to digital collections alone? Absolutely not! There's something to be said for sitting down and reading a book. I may enjoy audiobooks on my ipod, but I much prefer reading rather than being read to. Not to mention not everyone has the funds to purchase all of the best gadgets.

I see a need for a library blog, and hope to implement one soon. We've just migrated into the lower shore consortium so now it's much easier for our patrons to request books and manage their records from home. They'll be receiving emails to let them know when their items are due or when their holds are in. We're advacing. Sure we need more computers and of course we could use all sorts of new things. But the staff is learning new programs all the time (thanks to workshops like 23 Things) and we're dedicated to helping our patrons learn and to meeting their needs.

I feel like I've gone on too far to make what is, I think, a rather simple point. I'm always excited to implement new technology that will make the life of our staff and patrons better. I do see the continual needs for new skills, and I look forward to the future of the web. I just think that in all things there is moderation. Just as we'll work hard to meet the needs of our tech comfortable patrons, we'll still try our best to meet the needs of those patrons that just want to come in and find a good book.

No comments: