Monday, August 20, 2007

Wikis ~ Week 7, Thing 16

I've played with Wikis quite often in the past. I've used them to research dog breeds, find a list of X-men characters, get information on particular people... The list is endless. Though the library wikis I just visited were moderately less exciting, there was still information to be gained from them. I found the ALA 2006 conference one most informative in terms of layout. The links for different categories kept the page from being overwhelming. In the library field, I would say this is an excellent way to use a wiki.

I was also thinking that it may be interesting to work on a librarian's tools wiki. Librarians (and those of us that just work in the library field) could list new tools that they were using and review them. Sort of a tech librarian page. I'm sure that one already exists, when I have more time I'll try to see what's out there.

Oh, and as for the what's in a wiki question, my answer is everything. There are wikis for almost every topic imagineable. It's a site where people come together to share information. People can add their knowledge to what's already been collected, or start their own wiki. For readers, though, we just have to make sure that the information is sound. From my experience people tend to pull things that aren't factual pretty quickly, and they'll add notes asking for documentation on things that don't seem clear.

No comments: